Friday, February 25, 2011

Descriptive Writing - "I was there."

Descriptive writing creates a picture in the reader's mind.  Use descriptive words to get your readers to see and feel a place you have visited before.   Write a paragraph describing a place you have experienced.  Your goal is to get the reader to see and feel the same things you did.

12 comments:

  1. I traveled to a place a few years ago that is still fresh in my mind. I'd like to share it with you and see if you can guess where I've been. Let's go back together in time. I'm warm, relaxed, and cozy sitting back with my fresh painted toe nails in the crystal blue sparkling water. I've got my sunglasses and swimsuit on with my cool flip-flops lying in the sand. We aren't worried about time because the boat just left and it doesn't come back until dusk. We swam a good long while, rode horses, and drank a lot of colorful frozen concoctions with fruity stuff on top. I felt like an exotic tribal princess and I could stay there forever with my prince. We forgot about bills, children, and work for the entire day as we played along the shore! I found huge shells, coral washed up on the sand, and some beautiful palm trees dancing in the wind. The sun wasn't too hot and the breeze was sent straight from tropical waters. I dream about that place of long ago and yearn to go back often, especially on Monday mornings. Have you guessed yet? Okay, it was a private island that the El Conquistador offered to its guest, off the coast of Puerto Rico. You could travel by boat and return at the end of the day; It was heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I could feel the heat on my skin, gentle breeze in my hair, and fruity drink on my tounge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few months ago I went on a cruise. We went to Cozumel, Mexico. The water was crystal clear. It was ice blue and ice cold! I could see through the water all the way to the sandy bottom. The sun was so bright it hurt my eyes. The hot sand below my feet was grainy, like crushed rock. It was nothing like the smooth, silky sand I am used to feeling between my toes. I relaxed on a comfortable chaise lounge and sipped an icy cold drink that had a little umbrella poking out of it. This was the best vacation I ever had!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peace...

    That's what water does to me. The salty air softly brushing against my face, the sound of sea birds in the distance, the waves gently splashing, the sun's warmnth embracing me, my thoughts flow with the breeze...time stands still...

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have some beach lovers! I wonder what pulls people to the beach. I have known some (very few actually) who would have nothing of it and I could not for the life of me understand that. Most people I know really love it. Sure, everyone enjoys the sounds and beautiful weather, but what is it really that pulls us toward the shore?

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the summer, I am drawn to the beach as well. The sound of the waves is mesmerizing, and I love the feel of the sun on my face, and the cool water on my feet. I love it!
    In the winter, I am equally drawn to the fireplace. I love watching the flames dance, and the cozy feeling of curling up with a book by the fire.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been to one of the most gorgeous places in the world. I had the opportunity to travel to the exquisite city of Rome, Italy. There were all kinds of amazing works of art. The tiny cars rushed by so fast. It seemed like everyone there had a cute little motorcycle or moped. There were so many beautiful statues all throughout the city that you would have thought the whole city was a huge museum. The buildings and churches were absolutely unbelievable. The detail, the art, and the architecture of these buildings were incredible. In the Vatican, you walk through the colossal halls to see all of the dead Popes’ tombs. I see people from all over the world putting holy water in their mouth and all over their body. Then, you turn to walk into the immense church with gold, marble, and paintings everywhere. It’s like you just walked into heaven with all the angels and saints surrounding you. Rome is breath taking. I hope someday I will get to see it again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I have enjoyed reading all about your little slices of heaven. It's too bad that we can't do this a couple of times a year, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Few years ago, I visited Barcelona in Spain. That’s the one of the most beautiful cities in the world. The best attractions are “magic fountains.” It was dark and very quiet. We sat around the fountain and enjoyed in the “magic.” Water was going in different direction trough switching the colors, accompanied by different music. You feel like you watching the fireworks, but some quiet fireworks. Watching that show, I felt like I was in different world. That’s one of those moments when you want to stay forever like that, relaxed and be a part of that magic world, where everything is colorful and peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spain and Italy are now on my bucket list! One day . . .

    My mother took my son to Italy when he was 12. He spent 14 days visiting Florence, Rome, and came back a different person. He seemed so much more mature, aware, and confident. She will be taking my daughter to Paris this summer. I can't wait to see how she is when she returns from that adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We were in eastern Germany. It was five degrees below zero. We were waiting on our train to come through town so we could make our next destination. The snow was like nails piercing our skin. It was very cold. Your hands become so cold you lose feeling. Eastern Germany during the winter is an interesting place when relying on public transportation during the frigid winters.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Group B! You have created vivid visuals of familiar and unfamiliar places.

    ReplyDelete